In 1929, an idea was formed and initiated to gather together a group of legal secretaries in order to learn what was required in the preparation and filing of legal documents. By 1934, this idea blossomed and spread throughout the state of California, and in 1940, Legal Secretaries, Incorporated, (also known as LSI®) was formed as a nonprofit mutual benefit corporation. In the new millennium, LSI continues to grow by serving legal secretaries as well as law office support staff throughout the state of California with a variety of programs and services:
- Continuing education and professional development
- Certification through the California Certified Legal Secretary (CCLS®) program
- Membership in the Legal Specialization Sections
- The Legal Secretary® (published quarterly)
- LSI Legal Professional’s Handbook (published by The Rutter Group)
- Law Office Procedures Manual (published by The Rutter Group)
- Networking with other legal professionals
- Membership benefits and discounts
- Legal Secretaries, Incorporated is an MCLE provider
With approximately 1,500 members and members-at-large and 37 local associations throughout the state of California, LSI is dedicated to educating legal secretaries and promoting high ethical standards among law office support staff in the legal community. LSI’s motto “Excellence through Education” is paramount in the goals and objectives of this organization.
Associations located throughout the state offer monthly educational and professional programs. Many sponsor lunchtime learning, evening and weekend long-term educational workshops.
Conferences are held May, August, November, and February at various locations throughout California, hosted by an LSI local association. Continuing educational seminars and workshops are offered at each conference conducted by respected attorneys, judges and educators. Updated materials are provided for every workshop.